Monday 17 January 2011

Joseph

It has been just over two weeks since my resolution, and I have finished the book of Genesis! It was uplifting and a little surreal to move into Exodus; there was both a sigh of relief that this was going to be an easier resolution than I had originally thought and a feeling of steeling myself against premature exuberance... there is still a lot of scripture left!

My week of reading took me through the story of Joseph as he comes to power in Egypt and then mourns the loss of is father Jacob. An amazing story of forgiveness, openness and the importance of family. Joseph starts out interpreting dreams in jail, predicting the fates of Pharaoh's cupbearer and his baker. His successful predictions lead him to interpret Pharaoh's dreams (the seven skinny cows devouring seven plump cows on the banks of the Nile) to mean that Egypt will face seven years of famine following seven years of prosperity. What is amazing to me in this story is that Joseph has no idea what lies ahead, he just trusts and offers his God-given gift to the most powerful man in Egypt (this could be a dangerous thing). This reminded me of the conversation we had at our last gathering about the humility of accepting our God-given gifts and talents and using them in earnest as an offering to Him with gratitude. Joseph does not shy away from his dream-interpreting talent (this just made me think of the parable of talents - we must use them) and with this gift he saves the nation of Egypt from starvation during the famine. God gives us gifts to know, do and understand things in the world so that we (or He through us) can help people thrive on the Earth. Hiding our talents and abilities with over-grown modesty closes our eyes and our fellows eyes to the messages and love of God as it is manifest in our world through our bodies, minds and communities.

I love how emotionally charged this story is and how the men express their anguish, stress and joy. Joseph keeps crying on everyone's necks and weeps so loud that the entire house of Pharaoh can hear him. For this human response to the emotional roller-coaster he was on, my NIV study bible classifies him as overly emotional. I'm not sure that's quite fair. When the brothers are distressed during the back and forth of the grain between Egypt and Jacob's lands and the reappearing silver they rip their clothes. This got me thinking about what would happen in our lives if we ripped our clothes when our circumstances seemed dire. The brothers ripped their clothes (a significant act, I think, in a desert place during a time of famine and scarcity) because they thought their lives and the lives of their siblings were in jeopardy. What would I rip my shirt over? A missed deadline? A car break-down? Losing my wallet on the bus? My nephew getting the flu? The more I think about this expression of distress by the sons of Israel, the more I realize I am overwhelmed by much smaller things than they on a daily basis. Perhaps some shirt-ripping perspective could be useful. I might just start asking myself "Is this worth ripping my shirt over?"; sometimes yes, sometimes no.

After the death of Jacob, the sons are designated as the seeds of the 12 tribes of Israel. With their blessings they are to move forward in life as God's chosen people. Joseph's brothers have a momentary panic, however, worrying that Joseph will want to punish them for selling him into slavery as a boy. They invent a story that one of Jacob's dying directives was that Joseph forgive his brothers. Joseph replies open-heartedly that he has already forgiven them; that God was using them and him in his design to save Egypt from the famine and to lead to the prosperity of the tribes of Israel. In one fell swoop Joseph's willingness to give himself over completely to God's will and to God's love (forgiveness) keeps the peace for generations to come between the tribes in the nation of Israel. I can imagine that without that forgiveness, there would have been bloodshed and the Old Testament may have been a very different book.

In the beginning of Exodus Moses doubts his own suitability for the job of leading the Israelites out of Egypt. When Moses balks, God gives him tools (the miracles of the staff, disappearing leprosy on his hand and the water-turned-blood on the sand) and a helper (his brother). Moses is also scolded for questioning God, but in the end God ensures Moses that he will not be alone; that God will speak and work through him and that he can and will answer the groan of the enslaved Israelites. This lesson is one that I'm glad to have here with me as I head to my place of work tomorrow; there is a daunting road ahead and so much work to do, but I am not alone. God is working through me; and I will endeavour to do his will. God comes to us with tools and helpers, although they may not be recognizable as such and they many not still our fears. It is our job then, to step out into the world and know that He is there with us.


May we trust our gifts and carry them into the world as blessings for our brethren, may we be buoyed by the knowledge that God comes with us as we carry our gifts, and may the forgiveness we practice in our families spill into the world as salt and light. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment